Sunday 22 May 2016

Bumpy biking

" Ok ,I've Sussed out the course for today and it'll be our easiest day yet" Christine was studying google maps over breakfast. "The 222 runs beside the E6 motorway , nice and straight and because it's along the edge of the lake ,it must be fairly flat. We might even make Oslo"
The forecast was for rain but it was really just scotch mist so we wanted to leave early before it got heavier.
Susan came online on FaceTime and while we finished our cuppa we were able to see granddaughter Lucy playing netball in Dubbo. The miracle of the net!
Not a car on the road. This was very pleasant even with the mist and after an hour we'd covered an easy 17 kms.
"I wonder why there's no cyclists out this morning?"
And then we saw it . A bull dozer parked across the road and nothing but rocks and boulders behind it. Road closed. There was a sign way back now I remember ,but Norwegian is just double Dutch to us.
"Well I'm buggered if I'm going back 10ks" I said "I'm sure we can get through , even if we just push the bikes"
WELL 😳😟











This was the good parts, we must have pushed them for 3 or 4 kms and as for being flat .SHIT !!





The new E6. The reason the old road had disappeared . We crossed back again over those tunnels. Anyway we eventually got past it but my back wheel was shaking badly afterwards so I tried straightening it





Doesn't look too bad ! After about another 10kms there was an enormous BANG and the back tyre blew 😑
Now we were in trouble ! We hadn't seen any signs of accommodation all day so we turned around and started pushing them the 4 or 5 kms back to the railway station





Passed a bike shop but of course it's Sunday
Next thing a cheerful fellow on a bike pulls up behind us
" hey what's the matter". I show him and he says "No problem ,I got one of them at my place, you go over the road and have a coffee at that bakery and I'll go and get it "
Wow , we couldn't believe our luck .











His name is Eric . Sorry we didn't get a decent photo of you Eric but if you're ever in NZ, you have my email πŸ˜…( he wouldn't take anything for it )
We continued on to Jessheim on my brand new tyre, still no place to sleep so caught a train the last 35s into Olso. My faith in human nature well and truly restored.


No comments:

Post a Comment